Saturday 31 March 2012

Tuesday, November 15th, 2011.

Lancaster.
Lancaster :)

Alrighty, lets get you updated on Smooshe’s travels!

On the 15th of November (just over 2 months since arriving in the UK) I finally decided to go somewhere other than just Grange and Kendal (not to say I don’t love those places, they will forever hold a special place in my heart!!)!

Kamila had been telling me how nice Lancaster was, bigger than Kendal, so I HAD to go! I got up early enough to catch the first bus to Grange (9:30) then waited a bit for the first train to Lancaster.

Witches go that way? Ok... I'm going...
I’d never ACTUALLY been to Lancaster. I HAD spent a short period of time there when I first arrived in the UK, but I’d stayed at the train station with my suitcases then. Because of this, I had no idea where I was going or what to expect. I didn’t even have a map!!

When the train stopped, I remembered that Kamila said to head right from the station and that street would take me to the shopping centre. I followed the other passengers and LO! (lol) I found shopping!

Now I’ve got to be honest, I wandered around for about 2 hours and I wasn’t impressed. Lancaster had most of the same shops as Kendal, only they were in Lancaster which was farther away for me to get to. I didn’t buy anything besides postcards and I started heading back to the train station.

On the way back to the station, I saw this funny little sign with a witch on it. An official looking street sign... but with a witch on it. Of course I had to follow.

Then I discovered the castle...
.....
Sure looks like a castle to me!
So much fun to photograph!
I wandered around outside Lancaster Castle for a bit, taking pictures of the outside, enjoying the view (because castles have this habit of being perched on hills). I found a sign that said there were tours! So I took one! Unfortunately since it is still used as a court house, there’s no photography inside the castle.... but I got a few postcards and a good little book about the place. Did you know that the site has been used since Roman times? Like, BCE!!! That’s old!

When the tour was over I was a little less disappointed with my trip and glad I got a few good pictures (didn’t want the trip to be a waste!!).


Stay tuned for details of my whirlwind trip home!!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the witch sign! AND OMG A CASTLE!!!


    I'd have peed my pants, I'm pretty sure. :D

    ReplyDelete